Saturday, May 23, 2015

Robin hatched eggs under bonnet of car as it was being driven

A pair of robins and their chicks are thought to have been driven for at least 250 miles after setting up home under the bonnet of a car in Somerset. Dave Marchant, of Henley, found them in the engine compartment of his Toyota Land Cruiser when he checked the oil.





He believes the nesting female and six chicks travelled more than 250 miles (402 km), before being found. Mr Marchant said he had initially found the nest of unhatched eggs after clocking up more than 80 miles (128 km) in one day. "I didn't think they'd be any good.



"I thought the mother must have flown away, so I carried on driving it," he said. After driving for up to another 170 miles (274 km), he checked the nest again. "When I looked again there were a whole heap of chicks in there and they'd all hatched out," he said.





As soon as he saw the young brood, Mr Marchant said he "stopped driving the car" and "won't use it again until they have flown the nest". "I've heard of birds nesting in old vehicles but not in one that's in use," he added. "Just goes to show how steady a driver I am."

No comments: